Thursday, June 30, 2011

SeeingFresh, Week 5: Space

This week's assignment, say the instructors at www.seeingfresh.com, is to shift your intention from seeing forms in space to seeing visual space itself.

Here are the three images I submitted for consideration:








UPDATE 7/3/11: The center image was selected for the "texture" gallery,while the other two images seem to have been declined for the any of the five galleries. The question at this point becomes: do I treat the educators as commercial clients and serve up what they seem to want (photos that seem to evoke a vast, psychological space) even though the tighter interplay of positive and negative space evident in the declined photos really seems to have met the scope of the assignment as they wrote it? Is it that I just didn't submit an image that was similar enough to one that the instructors themselves would have taken?

At this point, I think I need need to take a few days to toss around my ideas about rejection, even though as a juried artist, I'm pretty much toughened up about the jurying process. Due to the nature of this particular type of artwork, I should also consider how my ego could be my biggest roadblock. I also want to consider the amount of "authority" I wish to give the instructors when my heart tells me I did the assignment "right." I also want to look at the idea of respect: did I properly honor the instructors when my opinion of them seems to vacillate with how much they like my work (and how much I like theirs)?

1 comment:

  1. I am of the impression that the first photo is a winner! WOW! ~karen

    ReplyDelete