Wednesday, June 3, 2015

San Francisco: Clarion Alley Murals

Since 1992, San Francisco's Clarion Alley has been covered in murals painted by artists affiliated with the Clarion Alley Mural Project (CAMP).

One of CAMP's goals is aesthetic diversity and the displayed work represents a wide range of styles. The topics also range widely: when I visited, several murals depicted developer backlash and animosity toward the “techies” driving up rents. (As a municipal law attorney, these types of struggles particularly fascinate me.) Also, since possession of small amounts of marijuana has been decriminalized in CA, I wasn't surprised to see a mural promoting full legalization of weed.

The work is also temporary: one of the artists I met said that she was painting over a mural she’d created early, after getting CAMP approval.

Because the art is ever-changing and deserves to be documented, I’m posting more images than I otherwise would.

No comments:

Post a Comment