Friday, May 25, 2012

Mix and Match

I don't usually create artwork to fit a specific frame, but today, I made an exception. (I repurposed two of my favorite 2011 images into a new composition to fit an ornate silver frame I found yesterday at Home Goods.)

This:

plus this:

and some rudimentary Photoshopping results in

I consider this photo-based artwork to be almost the antithesis of contemplative photography because I was simply Photoshopping existing images as a stress reliever, not shooting or editing as a meditative practice. Also, because I had a certain upcoming show in mind, my focus was on creating an image which would pass the jurying process and showcase a unique artistic vision. In other words, I actively worked to ***emphasize*** the difference between artist and viewer and create something that previously existed only in my mind. (Rather than achieving direct perception of an already existing object and erasing the artist/viewer duality.)

My so-called "artistic vision" was hardly high-brow: I've been humming the Rolling Stones' "She's a Rainbow" all week long after watching Mick Jagger on SNL last weekend and wanted to create a ***subdued*** "rainbow" face. (Rather than a technicolor rainbow that looks like it should have a leprechaun or unicorn next to it.) While I'm happy overall with the quality of the finished piece, I just realized that, more than anything else, it looks like one of my "Borg" migraines!

Hopefully, someone who doesn't get headaches will like it. Otherwise, I may be the first photographer I know to offer "Free bottle of Excedrin Migraine tablets with purchase." (And yes, I know that technically, migraines and headaches are two separate ailments.)

No comments:

Post a Comment