Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Oncology on Canvas

Today, I registered to be part of "Oncology On Canvas: Expressions of a Cancer Journey Art Competition and Exhibition."

One of the participant requirements is to turn over ***all*** the rights to the artwork going forward to the sponsors. This makes the lawyer part of me recoil in horror, since a non-exclusive license is far more reasonable and appropriate.

However as a breast cancer survivor (so far...) myself, I believe so strongly in the overall purpose of the exhibition, which will travel to multiple cancer treatment centers. For this reason, I revised one of my favorite closeup flower images to donate to the show:



Participants were also required to submit a 125-word story about their cancer journey. Here's my narrative, which has to include the title of my photograph (“Different, but Still Beautiful"):


Before I learned that I had DCIS, my definition of “beauty” was rather narrow. I sought out only the most unblemished and symmetrical blossoms to photograph and failed to recognize how absolutely exquisite the “imperfect” can also be. However, my cancer diagnosis required me to make several important and irreversible decisions, including surgery. The results of my lumpectomy forced me to learn how to find value and beauty in a breast whose new appearance I once would have found to be shameful and “ugly.” My artwork evolved in response to this challenge. For example, I found this flower mesmerizing despite its “scar.” I feel blessed that my ongoing cancer journey has taught me to appreciate that which is “Different, but Still Beautiful.”




To learn more the ""Oncology On Canvas" program, visit http://www.lillyoncologyoncanvas.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment