Thursday, August 4, 2011

Building a Sand Mandala

Since I had observed one being built before, I knew exactly what story I wanted to tell. Even so, it was important just to watch for a while before shooting a single frame. After taking a few group shots to document how several monks would work on the same mandala, it was time to take the "fun" shots.




Above: Describing the event without words and putting the focus on the artist....


Above: Throwing the artist out of focus to draw attention to the artwork....



Above: I used to work for high-tech magazines and this composition seemed like a riff on silicon technology....




There were a lot of "throw-away images" because I did not want to disrupt the ceremony by using flash. However, the center was gracious in that it let me return later and take several "detail" shots in an empty room. Here's one of my favorites:

No comments:

Post a Comment